Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sunday, 5/26/2013 to Saturday, 6/1/2013 - Mendon Mauler 12

I ran 4 times this week, 38.97 miles.
I biked 1 time this week, 12.03 miles.

Sunday, 5/26/2013: run of 13.4 miles, 2:17:50, 10:17 pace, 52F, sunny, windy, mild right Achilles discomfort

Garmin Connect Activity for Mendon Ponds Park - Blue, Green Trails x 2

I was up early around 6:40 AM. I needed a long run but where to go, road or trail? I chose trail down at Mendon Ponds Park on my usual Blue and Green trails. I started out around 9 AM. I took it nice and easy though I did have some really mild right Achilles discomfort. I encountered several deer, a couple groups of horses and their riders, some runners, some walkers with their dogs and some walkers. A busy day in Mendon Ponds Park plus lots of bicyclists on the roads to and from.

I bought my darling wife a bouquet of yellow carnations from a garden store on the way back and then awoke her with coffee and a bagel. She did seem to appreciate it!

Monday, 5/27/2013: bike of 12.03 miles, 1:32:35, 7.8 mph, 70F, sunny, a bit windy.

Garmin Connect Activity for Bike Ride to the Lake with Christine

I got Christine out for a bike ride around 4 PM. She wanted to see Lake Ontario so north we went. We stuck mostly to the sidewalk. Though we did enjoy a bit of downhill on St Paul Blvd itself rather than the sidewalk.

Christine and I up at the lake
Christine didn't like the gradual uphill climb on the way back from the lake. But it did force her to learn how to use the gears on her bike. We more than doubled the amount of miles she had rode on her bike at one time from 5 miles to 12 miles.

Tuesday, 5/28/2013: Rest day.

I took a day off of work to have a four day weekend. I like to do that around Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day. Well ... my birth certificate, social security card and passport have been missing for the past 5 years. I have finally given up hoping that they will just turn up. So Christine and I started to replace them. Step 1 was heading out to the Town of Arcadia office in Newark to get a replacement birth certificate. It was very easy. I just called ahead, paid $10 when I got there and presented photo ID. Though I would much rather have the original along with its faded envelope compete with a 3 cent stamp. Next up is going downtown sometime to the Social Security office and getting a replacement Social Security card.

We also finally went to Pearle Vision to select and get fitted for our new eye and sunglasses. We both chose bifocals instead of no-lines. We might curse ourselves for our choices later on.

Wednesday, 5/29/2013: run of 7.6 miles, 1:04:24, 8:28 pace, 79F, hot, humid, windy, no stops.

Garmin Connect Activity for 7.6 miles around the streets of Irondequoit

I struggled with motivation but I did manage to break out around 7:30 pm for a hot and sweaty run. I took it out with a nice and easy pace to cruise on my usual 10K course along with the hill on Chapel Hill Drive. I didn't need my sunglasses when I was done. It felt good after it all was over.

Thursday, 5/30/2013, run of 5 miles, 41:35, 8:19 pace, 86F, sunny, humid, 1 stop for hydration.

Garmin Connect Activity for A hot, humid & sweaty Remington's run

I needed a run no matter how hot and humid it was. And it was definitely hot (86F) and humid (51% RH). But it was the first Remington's run of the year. So ... down to Remington's for a nice, easy and sweaty 5 mile run. I ran nice and easy around 8:10 pace until about mile 3.5. Then I had to walk for a bit to get some hydration. After that I just took it really nice and easy back to Remington's. Run accomplished.

Friday, 5/31/2013: Rest day

I ran 15 times in 31 days during the month of May for 91.23 miles, 6.1 miles/run (2 were warm ups)
I have run 83 times in 181 days during 2013 for 512.16 miles, 6.2 miles/run
I biked 7 times in 31 days for 92.99 miles during the month of May, 13.3.miles/bike

Another unusually warm day, 88F and humid again. I am running the 12 mile version of the Mendon Mauler tomorrow morning so ... tonight was a definite rest night even though a 100 mile run month was almost in sight. Christine and I went out to the Regal Culver Ridge Cinema to enjoy some A/C and to also see "Star Trek: Into Darkness". An excellent movie that we will buy on Blu-Ray when it comes out. OK ... now we have to get a Blu-Ray player to replace our 2 DVD players that don't work.

Meanwhile, out at the Lyndonville's White Birch Golf Course our local Olympic 2012 gold medalist pole vaulter, Jenn Suhr, cleared 15' 7.48" inches, link here. She will be holding two more invitational pole vaulting competitions, the New York Invitational, out there on June 7th and 14th. I hope to get to one of them.

courtesy of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle
Saturday, 6/1/2013: run of 12.97 miles, 2:25:07: 11:06 pace, 73F, 73% RH, partly cloudy, a bit breezy, a bit of pain.



I woke up just like usual around 6 AM for a Saturday morning race. Christine felt poorly so I went down to Mendon Ponds Park solo to run the Mendon Mauler. The 12 mile race started at 8 AM with the 4 and 8 mile races started at 8:30 AM. I arrived around 7:30 AM to run the 12 miler.  It was a hot and humid morning but with a nice breeze. I tried to warm up but just didn't have the gumption. I should have stretched more but didn't. I just hung around and exchanged pleasantries with fellow runners that I knew ... and some I didn't.

Soon enough the race started. I struck a good kind of hard pace on the first loop. My right Achilles was a nag but I tried to ignore it. I slowed a bit but finished the first loop in 44:35. I took a couple cups of water and headed out onto the second loop. I was tired, hot and sweaty but I struck up a nice and easy trail pace. I ran the flats and downs and did the best I could on the ups. When I felt the breeze it felt good! I said "Hi" to fellow 4 mile and 8 mile runners when I passed them. The second loop passed in another 48:08. I took a couple cups of water and walked while I had a gel. I wondered why I was out there but continued on with my slow and steady trail pace. I could feel something going on in my left shoe as I ran. I figured I was getting a blister from my left foot slamming against the toe box on the downhills (I was right). It did bother me but it kind of balanced out the nag in my right Achilles ... so I ignored both. Onward ... I finished loop 3 in 51:08 for a total time of 2:25:07. Last year I ran 2:05:46. But last year I was in Sehgahunda shape ... which I am not this year.

I think this is the end of Loop 1.
The raw results

But hey ... I finished. I did OK, I was 27th out of 61, link here. I was 5th out of 15 in my M50-59 age group, link here. Meanwhile, the 8 miler had 53 finishers and the 4 miler had 81 finishers. I was pretty tired and thirsty when I finished. Some bananas and water helped that. Soon I was back home with my feet up and proudly wearing my Mendon Mauler T-shirt ... another race in the books.

Much later, Christine and I went out to Salvatore's on East Ridge Rd for some chicken fingers and a pitcher of beer while we watched the first 3 quarters of the Heat - Pacer game. The Pacers won and forced a decisive Game 7 on Monday night for the right to face the Spurs in the NBA Finals. I don't have a pony in this race but enjoyed watching the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment