Friday, July 22, 2016

Sunday, 7/3/2016 to Saturday, 7/9/2016 - Brighton 5K

I ran 5 times this week: 17.08 miles.

Sunday, 7/3/2016: Rest day ... perhaps too much rest.

My darling wife, Christine, cooked up some readymade ribs that I bought on sale at Wegmans ... mmm, tasty! My honey also cut my hair for the fourth time. This time she did it outside so that the wind took care of the mess. She is getting quite good at cutting my hair down to about 3/8" all around. I do think that it helped that we only let my hair grow for a month before cutting it again. She said that I have a lot of snarls (which hurt to cut, trust me) when my hair is longer.

Monday, 7/4/2016: 3 runs of 1.65, 3.12 and 1 miles, 64F for the first two and 70F for the last, 64F, 68% RH, 7 mph W wind, sunny

I "slept" in until 5:50 AM for my second running of the Brighton 5K. I last raced this flat and fast 5K course in 21:01 back in 2011. I knew I was not as fast now in 2016 but still I had hopes of breaking 22 again like I did at the Medved 5K on Father's Day. I got dressed, had my usual pre-race breakfast of cereal and banana, got my gear ready, kissed Christine goodbye and headed down to Brighton High School on South Winton Rd. I arrived at the race venue around 7:10 AM in plenty of time for the 8 AM start.

It was warm so I just wore a old pair of black shorts, a 2009 Spring Forward short sleeve tech and sunglasses. I got out for a nice and easy 1.65 mile warmup run at 8:46 pace, link here. I lined up in my usual start position about 5 yards back and to the right.

And ... we were off! I got up to race speed quickly. I noticed Tony Gingello from GVH up ahead and decided to stick close to him. Tony is 69 but is faster than I am. I was able to stay with him for the first 2 miles but had to back off for the last mile. Still ... I finished in 21:36 which is my fastest 5K of 2016. My splits were: 6:46, 6:49, 7:09 and 6:40 over the last 0.13 mile.


The start ... photo courtesy of Kim Smith of Fleet Feet Sports

Just after the start ... photo courtesy of Kim Smith of Fleet Feet Sports
The finish is in sight ... photo courtesy of Kim Smith of Fleet Feet Sports
I did pretty well, I was 56th out of 552, link here. I was 3rd out of 22 in my M 55-59 age group, link here, so I stuck around for the awards. I did get in a 1 mile cooldown run before the awards at 9:27 pace, link here. The pancake breakfast in the cafeteria was $5 for runners. I had never had blueberries inside a rolled pancake before ... tasty.

Tuesday, 7/5/2016: 5.05 miles, 43:14, 8:33 pace, 88F, 38% RH, 9 mph W wind, mostly sunny.

Garmin Connect Activity for A hot nice and easy 5

I don't usually run the day after a race but it was Tuesday and I run on Tuesdays. It was hot so I didn't run as fast or as far. I didn't even drive anywhere after work. I had my gear in the Equinox and ran a single loop around the Rochester Tech Park at a really nice and easy pace. My splits were: 8:41, 8:46, 8:32, 8:23, 8:27 and 8:20 over the last 0.05 mile. I went home, stripped and took a shower right away.

Wednesday, 7/6/2016: Rest day ... also the first time in the Greenleaf Meadows pool. Aahhh!

Thursday, 7/7/2016: 6.25 miles, 52:41, 8:25 pace, 88F, 55% RH, 4 mph NW wind, partly sunny.

Garmin Connect Activity for A hot and not so easy 10K

I run on Thursdays so I ran. Some sayings that fuel me: part of running is mind over matter, running is a habit that needs scratching, long runs don't get done by themselves. Anyway ... it was hot and I ran when I ended up after work again, the Rochester Tech Park. I struck up a slighter faster pace and went a bit longer. I did put some ice from the cooler in the cafeteria in my 20 ounce water bottle which helped. My splits were: 8:25, 8:37, 8:33, 8:20, 8:32, 8:23 and 7:07 over the last 0.25 mile. Boom ... done.

Rochester has had 7 days over 90F this summer including the last 3 days in a row (90, 91 and 91). I am getting used to it.

Friday, 7/8/2016: Rest day .. the Boilermaker 15K is 2 days away.

Saturday, 7/9/2016: 19 mile ride, 1:26:36, 13.2 mph avg, 23.6 mph max, 77F, 69% RH, 10 mph WSW wind, partly cloudy.



I wanted to do something active but not run so I rode. I got out and did a 19 mile bike ride on my usual route. The wind was out of the WSW and it felt like it was in my face everywhere except when I rode north on Island Cottage. I surely don't know how riders can endure riding for so long. I wore my cushioned shorts but I was getting a bit sore after 90 minutes.

My darling wife, Christine, and I enjoyed our afternoon and evening together. We did get out to New Nails so she could have her nails cared for. She made a pasta dinner ... carb loading before the Boilermaker 15K tomorrow. I laid out and packed all my gear before we went to bed at 10 AM. I set 2 (not just 1) alarms for 3 AM. The GRTC Boilermaker bus was leaving for Utica from the Park and Ride lot near SJFC at 4:30AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment