Monday, April 17, 2017

Sunday, 4/16/2017 to Saturday, 4/22/2017

I biked once this week, 17.72 miles.
I ran 3 times this week, 26.45 miles, 8.82 miles/run.

Sunday, 4/16/2017: 17.72 miles on the bike, 1:28:41, 12 mph average, 79F, 23 mph WSW wind, mostly cloudy.

I wanted to rest my running legs after running 16.6 miles yesterday but I just couldn't let a hot and windy Easter go by without doing something. I did take 7 boxes of my old stuff, one box at a time, out of the basement and walked it the 100 yards to the dumpster in the morning. Then ... I got it in my head that it would be a great idea to go for a bike ride.

So ... I got together my padded bike shorts, my black Brooks pants, a long sleeve tech, my bike gloves, my bike helmet and my Garmin Forerunner 310XT. I only had to look for a couple of minutes for my 310XT and my bike short which I considered a win. I pumped up my bike tires to 70 psi and headed out.


The wind going east or any variation of was fierce! But the warmth (79F) didn't let it be cool or cold so that was nice. The wind almost seemed to stop me at times. I think I slowed down to 5 mph several times. But I had an awesome tailwind! I hit 24.6 mph on Edgemere Drive on flat road. My butt didn't really hurt onward either so it was a win for my first ride of 2017. I weighed myself after I got back and yes, I lost the 2.6 pounds that I gained overnight. Back below 165 pounds ... barely!

My 310XT balked at uploading to my Garmin Connect account. I had cycled its power, my laptop's power, deleted it on my Garmin Connect but it continually timed out in the middle of an upload. It took 3 hours before it finally uploaded. There is a reason I changed from my trusty 305 and balky 310XT to the 220.

Monday, 4/17/2017: Rest day.

Today was the 121st Boston Marathon. I stalked several Rochester runners who qualified and ran it. One of these days I will qualify and run it. But first I have to get over my fear of the road marathon distance and qualify ...

Tuesday, 4/18/2017: 7.05 miles, 54:48, 7:46 pace, 45F, 57% RH, a bit windy, sunny.



I got back to B601 just before 11 AM. I had a close parking spot so I brought in my running gear, got dressed and got out there. It was a bit cool to start. I wore my Brooks shorts, a long sleeve tech, my green Brooks beanie, my heavy running gloves, and sunglasses. I thought about taking it easy but I was a bit chilly to start so I pushed the pace to get warm at first and then to keep warm! I do like running when it is between 30 and 50F! My splits were: 7:46, 7:40, 7:44, 8:00, 7:54, 7:49 and 7:34.

Oh ... if you want to get a great running belt for cheap, head out to Yugster to get their 2 pocket Go-Belt, link here (note, the deal is gone right now but it could come back). I got not 1, but 2, Go-Belts for $6.97 plus $3 shipping, yes $6.97 plus $3 shipping. I have worn one of the belts for almost 2 weeks now ... it holds my cell phone easily in the big pocket and anything else I need in the smaller pocket (keys, Hammer Gel, money, ID). It's quite stretchy but I am uncertain how it would fit someone with a larger waist (greater than 34"). I have it adjusted all the way open.

Yes, I did not "buy local". I can't afford to buy local. An equivalent running belt will retail for at least $25 at either Fleet Feet or Medved. I will check the next time I go to either one. I have not bought local the last three out of four running shoes. The one I bought local were on sale for $50 (Pearl Izumi M3) and only lasted 500 miles. I am running on a pair of ASIC GT-1000 running shoes that I picked up from www.buy.com for $50, $35 once I bought them through MasterPass and applied a SPRING15 coupon. The MSRP on any pair of running shoe is $120 minimum. I can get a pair for around $60 off of www.6pm.com or www.shoekicker.com. A guide to cheap overpronation running shoes, link here. Hey, I race local except for the Boilermaker.

Wednesday, 4/19/2017: Rest day.

I bought the last ticket to "Boston: An American Running Story" this morning. Fleet Feet Rochester had arranged for it to be shown at the Eastview Regal, link here. I Googled the movie and the closet link is "Boston: The Documentary", link here. I went after a supper of leftover chicken (mmm!) and sat next to Kevin Clinefelter. I learned why he had a slow (for him) time. He fought a cold during the marathon. He walked the last 2 miles and still BQed for next year! He was still fighting it during the movie with some sniffles and sneezes. He has been to Boston three times and provided some insights before the movie. It was an awesome movie. One of these days I want to earn the right to experience Boston ... but first I have to qualify somewhere. I am thinking either the Empire State Marathon in early October (10/8/17 this year) or the Mohawk Hudson Marathon in early October (also 10/8/2017 this year). Maybe this year or maybe next year. It would certainly blow a hole in my race budget if I every BQ since staying 3 nights in Boston would most likely be expensive.

Thursday, 4/20/2017: 8.05 miles, 1;06;20, 8;15 pace, 46f, 76% RH, 9 mph ENE wind, wind chill 42F, overcast.


The weather forecast for the evening was for rain so I brought my running gear to work and ran before lunch. My body didn't feel like running fast so I settled for nice and easy. I did stretch it to 8 miles instead of 7 and sped up a bit on the way back. It was a bit cool and windy but I wore "spring-ish" clothing: green Brooks shorts, a long sleeve tech, green Brooks beanie, heavy running gloves and sunglasses (not really needed). My splits were: 8:24, 8:21, 8:31, 8:21, 8:23, 8:12, 8:06 and 7:51.

Friday, 4/21/2017: Rest day.

Saturday, 4/22/2017: 11.4 miles, 1:33:02, 8:09 pace, 43F, 73% RH, 7 mph NW wind, wind chill 39F, overcast.

I set my alarm for 5:50 AM and fully intended to get out early when I set it. But ... my mind was weak and I went back to sleep. I got up around 7 AM and puttered around on Facebook. But ... I found my mojo, had my usual pre-run bowl of cereal and banana, dressed and got up and out. It was a bit chilly so I wore my green Brooks shorts, a yellow long sleeve tech, a yellow short sleeve tech, green Brooks beanie, heavy running gloves, and sunglasses. I carried my 16-ounce water bottle and an Amphipod with 2 Hammer Gel.


I headed out nice and easy. I thought of doing my Greenleaf 15K but when I got up to Edgemere Drive and turned and added the 10K loop and made the new Greenleaf 11.4 route. I sped up a bit on the run down Janes Rd. My splits were: 8:20, 8:03, 8:10, 8:14, 8:14, 8:03, 7:57, 8:01, 8:06, 8:22, 8:20, and 7:58 over the last 0.4 mile. Taper? What taper? I just get out there and run.

Later, my lovely wife and I got out to get her nails totally redone at New Nails since she had lost 4 of them and the others were in rough shape. She decided to go back to white tips instead of the red nails she had been rocking for the past couple of months. The result is as sexy and sharp as ever, ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment