Friday, November 9, 2018

Friday, 11/9/2018 to Sunday, 11/11/2018 - Dirt Cheap Stage Race

I ran 4 times: 19.06 miles.
I took 45.665 steps  according to my Pebble 2 HR smart watch.

Common abbreviations: OMEP is my Orange Mud Endurance Pack, NT360 is my NoxGear 
Tracer360 vest, UWRG is my usual winter running gear: CW-X tights, Darn Tough socks, long sleeve tech, Brooks 1/4 zip long sleeve pullover, balaclava and Brooks beanie.

This blog post is devoted to the 3 day, 3 race Dirt Cheap Stage Race (DCSR). It's an epic event so it deserves a blog post of its own.

Friday, 11/9/2018: 14233 steps during the day, 3.1 miles estimated, 35:51. 11:34 pace, 39F, 93% RH, 7 mph SW wind, wind chill 34F, overcast with light sprinkles

I took ibuprofen at 7 AM and noon to help make my right knee feel better. I also wore my new black P. W. Minor shoes that Christine bought for me last month. Both of these actions helped. My right knee slowly felt better until it didn't ache.

It started to snow during the day. A real heavy wet snow. Then it changed to rain. Tonight was DCSR #1 held out on Pond Rd in Mendon Ponds Park. I got out of work at 4 PM and got dressed for the conditions. I chose my CW-X tights, an orange long sleeve tech, an orange short sleeve tech, old Salamon SpeedCross 3 shoes and Darn Tough socks. I wore blaze orange (and all weekend) because I was my way of paying tribute to Lisa Vallone, obit here,  who had died from Crohns Disease on Wednesday. Then ... I couldn't find my race bib. I called Christine at home and sure enough it was there. So ... I drove home to get it. It took 45 minutes in rush hour traffic to get back out to Mendon Ponds Park. Still ... I was there by 5:40 in plenty of time for the 6:30 PM start. It was still raining so I tried to find everything in my 2014 Cruze without getting out of the car. But ... I couldn't find my Brooks beanie. So ... I wore an ear warmer and my orange Fleet Feet hat. I wore my Brooks jacket for warmth and brought my 2017 DCSR hoodie to wear afterward. I also wore my NT360 vest and the headlamp that I bought off of eBay last year. I walked slowly the 1/4 mile up to race venue and got there about 6:20 PM.

DCSR #1 was started in time trial fashion with a runner going off every 5 seconds. Luckily the rain has mostly stopped. I had bib 150 so I had to 12.5 minutes before my start. I didn't warm up so I had a bit of trouble getting my breathing under control during the roughly 1/2 mile uphill at the start. I concentrated on just running under control and not falling. There were lots of wet rocks, wet roots and slippery mud to look out for so I had to really concentrate on every foot placement. Soon enough ... I could hear Ellen calling out the finishers ... and I was done.

before DCSR #1
The DCSR logo and a bit of crusty snow
After DCSR #1 with a bit of runner fuel
I checked my Garmin ... it had been paused at 0:23. I must have hit the pause button with my gloves so ... no Garmin data for this run. Oh well! Stuff happens. Christine sent me the eCrumb link that I sent here when I started. It's not official since I started it about 20 seconds before I started and stopped it about 20 seconds after I finished, link here. I did OK, I was 95 out of 225 and 1st out of 7 in my M 60-69 age group, link here.

I ate a couple of hot dogs and cookies after I changed out of my damp tech shirts and into my 2017 DCSR hoodie. I walked the 1/4 mile back to my car and drove home. The drive back was a lot better without rain and rush hour traffic.

Saturday, 11/10/2018: 10526 steps during the day, 2 runs of 1.01 and 4.65 miles, 30F, 47% RH, 20 mph W wind, wind chill 21F, sunny.

Today's race was DCSR #2 out at Devil's Bathtub in Mendon Ponds Park. I woke up at 6:10 AM. I puttered around like usual as I ate my usual pre-race bowl of cereal and banana. It was about the same temp so I wore the same as yesterday. I got out at 7:35 AM and got down to the race venue at 8:05 AM. I was surprised that I got a prime parking spot right at the top of the hill. So ... I surfed Facebook ... then I checked my email ... and still not too many cars. I checked the yellowjacketracing.com website. The race start was at 10 AM. OK ... I ditched my Brooks jacket and donned my Brooks beanie. I headed out for a 1.01 mile warm up run at 9:02 pace, link here. It was just an out and back ... like I usually do on DCSR #2 or a Dirt Cheap that starts at Devil's Bathtub.

I lined up next to Andy Ciaio. He had left DCSR #1 last night after only 1 hot dog so I had told him that I had stayed for 2 hot dogs. It's a three day race so you don't waste energy after DCSR #1. Ellen warned of the usual: follow the pink flag and not the runner in front of you, if you get lost it's your own fault and don't litter. She also warned of ice on all the wood planks and told us to be careful. And ... we were off.

I got up to a nice trail race pace. The first mile is rolling hills out in the open so we could feel the wind. I didn't warm up until mile 2. Then ... the mud started. The rain from last night caused a lot of mud that we all slogged through off and on for 2 miles. I slipped onto my butt once on a steep downhill. I was getting pretty tired with trying to raise up my feet through the mud. Then ... I could hear Ellen from the finish above me ... the wood planks were still a bit ice covered so I was careful ... up the infamous stairs to the finish ... and done in 50:20. I had a half bagel with Nutella ... which hit the spot. My feet were freezing so I went to my 2014 Cruze, put the heat on full to the feet and went home ... boom, done.

My muddy CW-X tights, Darn Tough socks and Salomon SpeedCross 3 trail shoes (I washed the first two)
I did OK. I finished 4.65 miles in 50:20, 10:40 pace. I was 86th out of 264, 1st out of 7 in my M 60-69 age group, link here. My splits were: 8:13, 10:47, 12:20, 9:52 and 14:01 over the last 0.65 mile.

Sunday, 11/11/2018: 20906 steps during the day, 10.3 miles, 2:00:26, 11:42 pace, 36F, 69% RH, 9 mph WSW wind, wind chill 29F, sunny.

Today's race was DCSR #3 out at Stewart Lodge at Mendon Ponds Park. I woke up at 6:10 AM. I puttered around like usual as I ate my usual pre-race bowl of cereal and banana. It was about the same temp so I wore the same as yesterday.  I got out at 7:35 AM and got down to the race venue at 8:05 AM. How many times have I parked in the Beach parking lot at MPP ... who knows?

I ambled up to Stewart Lodge and hung out a while. I stashed a bag that had my Brooks jacket, orange Fleet Feet hat and Brooks light running gloves to change into afterward. I put my heavy running gloves by the fire in an attempt to dry them out a bit before the race (didn't work). I just stretched before the race. I lined up next to Andy Ciaio again and settled in for the start. And ... we were off.

I started in the middle of the pack so I could warm up slowly. No need for a fast pace at first ... it's a long trail race. Boots and Sean Hendricks were everywhere. I saw them 4 times during the race ... the road crossing on Douglas Rd just after the start at 0.5 mile, the road crossing on Canfield Rd at mile 4.8 (I had a Chocolate Gu) and twice on the same hill at mile 8 or 9 as we came from two different directions. I developed a hot spot on my right heel around mile 5. I stopped just after the S Wilmarth Rd crossing at mile 6. I took off my shoe and banged out any debris but the damage had been done. About 10 runners passed me. I put the shoe back on and kept running. It hurt for another mile before it either quit or I got used to it. There was about just about as much mud and water as yesterday. I avoided some of the mud if it wasn't too much trouble but I tended to just go straight through it too. You know ... the shortest distance and all. I concentrated on the terrain and my foot placement but ... did look up occasionally to check out the scenery. I walked the hills when I needed to so I could catch my breath. I can walk some hills faster than I can run them with my long legs. I started to get hungry around mile 9. I have run DCSR #3 enough (10 times) to know when I am getting closer to the finish ... just keep going. I could hear the music from the finish ... I was really hungry ... a bit more mud ... up the final hill ... up the 5 more steps to the new deck on the Stewart Lodge and done!

I was famished and went inside to find something to eat as soon as I caught my breath. I found cookies and had 4 of them ASAP. I stood in line for the coveted DCSR hoodie ... hunter green was the color this year. Ellen told me what she told everyone: "You earned this hoodie. Don't let anyone other than you wear it." I went outside, peeled off my wet tech shirts and put on my newest favorite DCSR hoodie. OK, I put it on backwards for a second (one guy saw it and promised not to tell anyone).

Wearing my newest favorite DCSR hoodie
Just your basic well enjoyed and mud covered pair of Salomon SpeedCross 3 trail shoes and Darn Tough socks
I ate a half bagel with Nutella ... not bad. I am beginning to like Nutella. Then I had a moment of panic. I checked my Zipster and then my Nathan SpeedDraw flask for my key to the 2014 Cruze ... no key. So ... I quickly walked out the car ... it was unlocked ... and the key was in the ignition. Whew! Sometimes I do really stupid stuff. It didn't bite me this time. I went back up to Stewart Lodge for the awards. I was first in my DCSR series M 60-69 age group. I won a DCSR tea glass and a jar of Once Again peanut butter.

DCSR bling
I did OK. I was 95th out of 217 and 1st out of 6 in my M 60-69 age group, link here. I was also 1st out of 6 in the DCSR series M 60-69 age group, link here. My splits were: 10:01, 9:42, 11:28, 11:42, 12:45 (ate a GU0, 9:44, 10:36, 12:58 (emptied my right shoe), 13:11, 10:42 and 10:22 over the last 0.30 mile

I initially thought that I did really well but I found out later that I have run 7 of my 10 DCSR #3 races faster than today. But ... I have to keep telling myself that I am still out there ... still running ... still moving forward ... so that is a good thing. The couch may call me but I don't have to answer its call.

I went home and lazed around the rest of the day. I discovered that I did indeed get (earned) a blister on my right heel. I don't usually get blisters so I bet I caught some debris in my shoe. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment