Monday, August 24, 2015

Sunday, 8/9/2015 to Saturday, 8/15/2015 - Innovative Edge XC Series Race #2

I ran 7 times this week, 29.63 miles.
I biked once this week, 12.6 miles.

Sunday, 8/9/2015: A Du of 4, 12.6 and 4 miles.

I got up kind of late at 8:45AM. I read a bit of Facebook and learned of other athletes being awesome. The Sodus Point Triathlon (0.45 mile swim, 13.1 mile bike and 5K run) was held with 172 finishers, link here. I saw one person, Brian VanBuren, completed all 99 miles of the Mighty Mosquito 99 Mile Relay in 28:42:17, link here. I saw that Rob Wilder completed 100 miles in the Beast of Burden in 5th place out of 44 in 20:55:16: 100M results here, 50M results here and 25M results here.

I was determined that I wasn't going to be a slug like I was last Sunday. Hmm ... what to do? Hmm ... how about a run-bike-run (R-B-R)? Hmm ... how long? The numbers; 4, 12, 4 come into my head. So ... I went out and did them. Maybe I should call this the DeWeaver Du?

Christine said "You're awesome, baby!" and mostly stayed out of my way except to remind me to put on sunscreen and to be careful ... sound words of loving advice. I dressed, geared up and got out at a nice and easy pace for a 4 mile out and back run at 7:46 pace. My splits were: 7:35, 7:50, 7:52 and 7:50. The weather conditions were: 73F, 57% RH, 5 mph ESE wind, sunny. I was definitely a bit sweaty when I got back.


I got back to the townhouse, toweled off, had a long swig of water, backed out my bike, put on my helmet, lit up my front and rear lights and then set off. My transition was about 3 minutes. I made up a bike course of 12.6 miles on the fly. Most of the course had wide shoulders except for Edgemere Drive. I did use the left sidewalk on Latta between Island Cottage and Dewey for 1/2 mile since I was going to make a left on Dewey anyway. My average speed was 14.2 and my top speed was 28.4 mph. The weather conditions were: 75F, 54% RH, 3 mph N wind, sunny.


I got back to the townhouse, toweled off, had a HammerGel, another long swig of water and got back out on my run course. I took it a bit easier and put it into "get 'er done" pace at 7:56 pace. My splits were 8:12, 7:50, 7:57 and 7:45. The weather conditions were unchanged from the bike.


And ... done! I didn't feel like a slug and relaxed by watching lots of American Ninja Warrior ... nice!

Monday, 8/10/2015: Rest day.

I got home a bit early ... just in time to put together four lamps that Christine had bought online 2 weeks ago. They was very well boxed ... I even had to assemble the lampshades. Now I need to buy some 3 way energy efficient light bulbs.


I also discovered that I had broken the band of my RoadID on Saturday afternoon when I carried in a bag of topsoil to the back patio. I ran, biked and ran on Sunday without knowing that I didn't have it on which is kind of weird. I did have a spare band so I just put it on ... no fuss, no muss. I did cut it so it was a bit looser.


Tuesday, 8/11/2015: 5.3 miles, 42:33, 8:01 pace, 77F, 57% RH, 11 mph NW wind, sunny

Garmin Connect Activity for A short and easy 5

It was Tuesday so I got out and ran. I did cut it short since I wanted to run the Innovative Edge XC Race #2 down at Cobbs Hill on Wednesday. My splits were: 8:01, 8:12, 8:01, 8:11, 7:57 and 7:12 over the last 02. mile.

Wednesday, 8/12/2015: 3 runs of 2.6, Innovative Edge XC Series Race #2 of 2.83 and 1.5 miles, 73F, 53% RH, 10 mph NW wind, partly sunny.

I loaded my gear into the Equinox before work so I could pop down to Cobbs Hill for the Innovative Edge XC Series Race #2. It's a 4 night XC race held on four consecutive Wednesday nights in August, link here. I ran the entire series in 2011 (including the Tour de Pain) and 2013. It's a low key race with not too many amenities. Just show up and run.

I parked in the Fleet Feet Armory parking lot and ran over for a 2.6 mile warmup run at 8:35 pace, link here. I met up with Andy Ciaio and shot the breeze for a bit before the race. The kid's race held at 6PM ran long so we waited for a bit. Coach Reif introduced a celebrity in our midst. David Coyne, runner of 44 consecutive Boston Marathons, was running the race. I learned later that Bill Beyerbach started out and ran from his house at 6:10PM and arrived just before the race started.


And ... we were off! The course is almost a mile of grass, then the grass hill up to the reservoir road, over to the Washington Grove for a mile of trail and then back onto grass for the run back to the finish. It's billed as a 5K ... but it's short. I had it as 2.83 miles. Anyway ... I was behind Bill Beyerbach for 1/2 mile before he pulled away. Andy passed me shortly afterward. I took off my sunglasses when I entered the woods and shortened my stride (which seems to be working for me). I passed a few runners in the woods by taking a better tangent on the corners. I held my position as I sprinted (as well as I could) for the finish. And ... done in 23:25! I stayed around and talked a bit with Andy and Bill before I headed home. The hills at Cobbs Hill hadn't gotten any easier!

Thursday, 8/13/2015: Rest day.

My mind wanted to run but my body said pizza ... so I went and got pizza!

Friday, 8/14/2015: 9.3 miles, 1:13:44, 7:55 pace, 75F, 74% RH, 7 mph W wind, overcast.

Garmin Connect Activity for A quick 15K

I needed to get out tonight since tomorrow will be a travel day for a quick trip to Ravenna OH. It was a mixed bag of weather: partly cloudy to a light rain for 1/2 mile around mile 2 to partly sunny by the time I finished. I struck up a kind of hard pace and just kept it up ... I don't do really nice and easy too much when I run on the road. My splits were: 7:52, 7:46, 7:49, 7:52, 8:16, 7:45, 7:52, 8:03, 8:09 and 7:32 over the last 0.3 mile. I was drenched with sweat when I got done ... sweet!

Saturday, 8/15/2015: Travel day

My lovely wife, Christine, and I traveled to Streetsboro OH to spend the night. We planned on seeing her father the next day. We arrived around 3:30PM after an uneventful trip. We stayed at the Wingate by Wyndham Hotel. We had a very nice room with a king bed, desk, chair and nice sized bathroom along with refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and even a safe! Plus this room had 13 outlets! We even got into the pool for a swim before we walked over to eat supper at Ruby Tuesday's. We both had steak ... oh, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment