Saturday, July 2, 2016

Sunday, 6/12/2016 to Saturday, 6/18/2016 - Dirt Cheap #3

I ran 4 times this week, 21.19 miles.
I biked once for 10.55 miles.

Sunday, 6/12/2016: 6.35 miles, 1:09:51, 11:00 pace, 61F, 45% RH, 17 mph NW wind, partly cloudy.

Garmin Connect Activity for 10K Fail

Well ... that didn't go well! I had thoughts about just a nice and easy 8 miles, 15K or a half when I started out. It was cooler and windy (such a difference from yesterday's 75F and 74% RH) so I wore my Brooks shorts and a long sleeve tech (yes, in June). I noted my right hip pain nagging at me as soon as I started. I figured that it would go away just like it usually does. Well ... it didn't go away. I continued on Edgemere Drive as I passed Schaller's as I looked to shorten the run to 8.2 miles. But ... I stopped at 3.2 miles and turned around. I tried to continue running but couldn't. I ran/walked/limped back home. It's a long ways when you can't run more than 100 yards. A runner who knew me said "Hi" as I walked past the Lake Shore Country Club on Greenleaf Rd. I think he (Phil??) disappeared either into Greenleaf Meadows on the left or Pebbleview Dr on the right. I have three races (Dirt Cheap #3 on 6/15, Medved 5K on 6/19 and Charlies on 6/25) in the next two weeks that I am signed up for and really want to run! I am not a happy camper if I can't run ... my darling wife, Christine, can tell you that.

I was sad most of the day after learning what happened overnight at the nightclub in Orlando FL, link here. There is sadly no shortage of links about this tragedy, rhetoric between Hillary and Donald, a much needed debate about an assault gun ban and any number of depressing news articles about death. My darling wife, Christine, doesn't want me to tell her about the news. She says that she saw enough death when she worked in healthcare and that it upsets her.

Later, I went down to see two of my three children. I gave my oldest, Michael, an Android charging cord and gave my daughter, Karen, back a dish that did have some delicious cookies. The usual catching up on stuff ensued.

Monday, 6/13/2016: Rest day.

I tried to watch Game 5 of the NBA Finals with the Warriors up 3-1 on the Cavs out in CA. If I had stayed awake, I would have seen Lebron and Kyrie combine for 41 each as the Cavs won 112-97, link here.

Tuesday, 6/14/2016: Rest day ... moving on.

Wednesday, 6.15/2016: 2 runs of 1.5 and Dirt Cheap #3 of 3.29 miles, 73F, 44% RH, 9 mph ENE wind, overcast.

I put all my running gear in the Equinox before work so I could go directly to Dirt Cheap #3 at Lucien Morin Park situated next to MacGregor's Bar & Tap Room. I got there a bit late at 5:40 PM but was still directed to a primo parking spot by Ellen (who seemed to be everywhere like usual). I geared up and got ready. I have run this course numerous times so I knew what to expect: a tight, technical course with lots of up and down and to be ready for anything: mud, bees, heat and humidity come to mind.

I got out for a not so short warmup and not so easy run of 1.5 miles at 10:43 pace, link here. I noticed right away that I was wearing my Brooks Adrenaline GTS15 shoes on trail and had the predictable kind of unstable footing. But I didn't turn back but went onward. I went longer than I thought and didn't know if I would get back out in time but I got back to the Equinox with about 6 minutes to go before my wave 1 start at 6:30 PM. I quickly changed into my Salomon Speedcross 3 trail shoes. Then I went up and toed the start line with Andy Ciaio and Joe Ciecierega among others.


The lead runners of wave 1 ... photo courtesy of Kim Smith of Fleet Feet Sports
Running down the stone road just after the start ... photo courtesy of Kim Smith of Fleet Feet Sports
The runners of wave 1 ... photo courtesy of Kim Smith of Fleet Feet Sports
And ... we were off! There was a cloud of dust as we ran down the stone road for about 1/4 mile before we turned left into singletrack. It was just long enough to get your blood pumping and to spread out a bit. Then the race really started. This course is very technical, narrow in spots with lots of roots along with lots of up and down. I was ahead of Andy and Joe for a mile before both passed me. Mile 1 was definitely quick for me.  I kind of ran out of gas after that and walked a few hills. I hung on as best as I could. Boots and Sean cheered me at a tight turn back into the woods for the last 1/2 mile. Up the last hill and then down into the finish with Ellen calling me in ... priceless!

I quickly drank the water in my 10 ounce hand bottle as I waited for my coveted long sleeve Dirt Cheap series t-shirt. I didn't put it on since I was dripping with sweat. Thankfully it was just a bit warm and not very humid. I went into MacGregor's for a bit of their post race grub: pasta, salad and a bun ... tasty!

I did OK. My splits were: 9:30, 11:30, 12:16 and 10:10 over the last 0.29 mile. I was 70th out of 443 overall, link here. I was 53rd out of 330 series overall, link here. I was a distant 2nd out of 16 behind Jim Roche in my M 50-59 series age group, link here. I thought I ran OK. I didn't have any right hip pain and didn't trip. There was no mud to speak up and no bees like a couple of years ago.

Another excellent Dirt Cheap put on Fleet Feet Sports and Yellowjacket Racing. It's easy to overlook how good they are at what they do but I try not to. Thanks!

Thursday, 6/16/2016: Rest day.

I watched Game 6 of the NBA Finals between the Cavs and the Warriors, link here and here. Lebron was ON from the opening tip as the Cavs pushed to a 3-3 tie, 115-101. Lebron at one point in the 3rd quarter scored 18 straight points. The Warriors got within single digits a couple of times (8 and 7). Lebron had another monster game: 41 points, 8 rebounds, 11 assists, 4 steals and 3 blocks. Game 7 on Sunday night should be epic, an interesting link here.

Friday, 6/17/2016: 10.05 miles, 1:23:57, 8:21 pace, 84F, 20% RH, calm, sunny.

I needed to run so I didn't talk myself out of it. I just took it nice and easy. I wanted to go ten so I went out to Lowden Point Rd on Edgemere Drive before turning around. I added a wee bit to make it to 10 miles. My splits were: 8:24, 8:9, 8:13, 8:20, 8:21, 8:25, 8:22, 8:28, 8:30 and 8:21. I was dripping wet when I got done and proceeded directly to the shower.

Saturday, 6/18/2016: 10.55 mile ride, 47:59, 13.2 mph, 20.8 mph max, 86F, 19% RH, 4 mph N wind, partly cloudy.


I definitely needed to go out for "anything" after a "discussion" with my darling wife, Christine, on the way home for a nail salon appointment at New Nails. I had brought up a story that my oldest son, Michael, had told me that his mother had not fixed her parked car after it had gotten dinged because she had needed to pay off a vet after her cat had died. Well ... a "discussion" ensued. I just wish she could accept that yes, I had a life that involved an ex and three kids before I met her again. I give her that privilege that yes, she had a life that involved an ex and two kids before I met her again. Yes, she is fiercely loyal to me and does stick up for me. But there is a time and a place. A "Oh, that's too bad" reply and a quick change of the subject would have been so much better.

Anyway ... I needed to get out but not for a run since I had a race on Sunday. So I got ready to get out on my bicycle. I did have to pump up tires which finally broke my old car air compressor (the DC plug was cracked). The DC plug broke more and now the on/off switch is stuck in the on position. It still works though. Anyway, I got out for a bike ride which put me in a better mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment