Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Monday, 11/13/2017 to Saturday, 11/18/2017 - MFAMTL

I ran twice during 6 days, 25.17 miles.
I took 73,537 steps during 6 days according to my Pebble 2 HR smart watch.

Monday, 11/13/2017: 5328 steps during the days, rest day.

Nothing like leftover ribs and yams for supper on a rest day!

Tuesday, 11/14/2017: 5817 steps during the days, rest day.

I seriously thought about running but I ran late getting ready for work plus my legs still ached going the stairs to get my first mug of coffee at 6 AM. Then I got out of work late so that put the brakes on a run after work. I know I will be running a lot this weekend so I need to go into the 8 hour MFAMTL with fresh legs.

Oh ... the last of the ribs and white potatoes for supper ... mmm! My darling wife, Christine, sure can whip up tasty meals for me!

Wednesday, 11/15/2017: 19185 steps during the days; 6.45 miles, 52:46. 8:10 pace, 45F, 57% RH, 11 mpn SSE wind, sunny.


I was getting a bit stir crazy so I got out for a pre-lunch run. Nothing special ... just one foot of the other, repeat until done. The legs were a bit sluggish at the start but I didn't pay any attention to their nagging. My splits were: 8:17, 8:16, 8:06, 8:17, 8:12, 8:10 and 7:39 over the last 0.45 mile.

I forgot my bag that had my towel so I couldn't take a shower after this run. Shhh ... don't tell anyone!

Thursday, 11/16/2017: 6434 steps during the day, rest day.

I like to run on Thursday but the MFTAML trail run on Saturday loomed and told me to rest up.

Friday, 11/17/2017: 5808 steps during the day, rest day.

Saturday, 11/18/2017: 30965 steps during the day; 18.72 miles, 3:40:29, 11:47 miles, 43F, 75% RH, 4 mph S wind, overcast.

Today's race was the MFAMTL 2017 Fall Edition, Facebook group link here. It's a impromptu run put together by Mike Vallone down in Oatka Creek Park from 9 AM to 5 PM. There were going to be 2 1.6 mile loops, 1 orange loop run from 9 AM to 1 PM and the blue loop from 1 PM to 5 PM. There have been two other (I think) MFAMTLs (which means Maybe the First Annual, Maybe The Last). I went to the first one and missed the second one because it was the day before the Boilermaker back in July. The first two were free with donations accepted. This one was "official" with a $10 entry fee accepted from Ultrasignup.com, link here.

I was up at 6:15 AM.I had my usual pre-race meal of a bowl of cereal and banana. The weather forecast was for rain and rain so I rustled together some long sleeve tech shirts and a sweatshirt along with a second pair of pants and shoes. Then I made a lunch pail of 6 sandwiches (3 PB&J, 2 ham and cheese and 1 turkey and cheese), 2 bananas and 2 apples along with a mug of coffee. My darling wife, Christine, needed more sleep but said she would drop by later. The drive down to the race venue took about 30 minutes like Google Maps foretold. I got down to the race venue around 8:15 AM.

Signing my life away ... photo courtesy of Tom Reding
There were many people there I knew. I quietly got ready. I overdressed slightly: my Brooks running pants, yellow/black Brooks 1/4 zip pullover, yellow/black Brooks beanie and heavy running water. I carried water in my Nathan SpeedDraw Plus flask. I expected rain and raw condition so I dressed for it.


The start ... photo courtesy of Tom Reding
And ... we were off! The rain never came ... there was a bit of wind but it was actually quite nice and pleasant ... perfect weather for running in the woods. I set up a nice and easy trail pace that kept me in sight of the leaders for the first 4 loops. The orange course was actually 1.7 miles with some rollers, and one hill along some roots, rocks and leaves on most of the rest of the course.

Keeping up with the lead pack for a bit ... photo courtesy of Tom Reding
Following Kimbery Wrate. We flip-flopped for a while before she pulled ahead. She kept on running (and running) and ran 44.2 miles! ... photo courtesy of Tom Reding
Well ... I found a root with my left foot at mile 7.3. Down I went. I let myself roll a bit. I got back up and kept running. I had a PB&J after 1 hour. I hit 13.1 miles around 2:17. I had another PB&J after 2.5 hours. My left toes started hurting a bit after that.

All by my lonesome ... photo courtesy of Tom Reding
I almost quit after 10 loops or 17 miles. But I just grabbed a ham & cheese sandwich and kept walking while I ate it. Then ... I got up to a run and tripped again with my left foot ... HARD! I fell and lay there for a couple of seconds. I got up and told myself .. "enough". I could walk and I tried to run again but it hurt so I just walked. I quit when I got back to the start. Done with 11 loops and 18.72 miles for the day.

A smile after the run with Eric Eagan
I was a bit tired, sore and hungry. I stayed for a while while I had a bit of something to eat and changed from my trail shoes into my road shoes. The runners who were still running were excited about getting to run the blue trail from 1 PM to 5 PM. But ... I was done.

I think my body is trying to tell me that I should stick to the half marathon or less distance. I try to keep not listening though .. I have run a marathon (Empire State) and two 40 mile ultras (Mind the Ducks and Many on the Genny) this year. I had hoped to run another ultra today. But ... I knew I had been wise. I knew that if I stayed I would have tripped again and maybe hurt myself worse because I was tired and not picking up my feet. So ... I went home.

Soon I was home with my feet up and my obligatory mug of coffee by my side. I uploaded to Garmin. My splits were: 10:04, 10:10, 9:53, 10:46, 9:31, 9:44, 10:06, 11:50, 10:34, 11:10, 10:18, 11:09, 10:17, 10:31, 13:48, 11:18, 13:34, 12:31, 19:25 and 18:53 over the last 0.72 mile. The results were posted and I finished 52nd out of 77, link here.

Later I took my clothes off and took a shower. I found that I had a dime sized scab below my left knee. I bandaged it so it would heal faster. The joys and perils of trail running. It's peaceful but if you don't pick up your feet ... shit happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment