Monday, November 6, 2017

Sunday, 11/5/2017 to Thursday, 11/9/2017

This blog post will be only for 5 days since the upcoming Dirt Cheap Stage Race (DCSR) deserves its own blog post (as usual). This will be my ninth DCSR!

I ran 3 times this week, 23.35 miles.
I walked 54,852 steps this week according to my Pebble 2 HR smart watch.

Sunday, 11/5/2017: 12786 steps during the day; 8.15 miles (7.55 miles recorded), 1:04:29, 8:32 pace, 54F, 88% RH, 10 mph S wind, rain with some lightning and thunder.

The clocks "fell back" overnight and I used it to full advantage. I went to bed around midnight and woke at 8:50 AM with the time change ... so I could almost 10 hours of sleep. Boom!

I saw the NYC Marathon elite women go off and knew that I had to get out there on my own run. Yes, it looked like rain ... but out I went. It was a bit chilly so I wore my Brook pants, white Rochester Marathon long sleeve tech, orange Charlie's Old Goat short sleeve tech (on top) and light Brooks running gloves along with my Brooks Transcend 3 running shoes. But ... I should have worn my orange Fleet Feet hat too!


I set up a nice and easy pace as I headed out. It started to sprinkle ... then rain ... then some lightning and rumbles of thunder ... all before I got to the 390 underpass on the LOSP trail. I took a brief rest to let some rain pass by and took off my short sleeve tech. I forgot to turn my Garmin FR 220 on for about 0.6 mile. The rain came back, stopped a few minutes and then continued. I was getting drenched. I had to blink my eyes quite a bit to see where I was going. But once you get drenched ... you can't get any wetter! I was soaked to the skin when I got done but there was no nipple irritation ... thankfully. I stripped as soon as I got in. I draped my wet clothes all over and went to take a warm shower. My darling wife, Christine, said she was a bit worried about me as I headed upstairs. She also doesn't nag me about my leaving my running clothes all over the place! But ... it was only rain, wind, lightning and thunder! My splits were: 8:18, 8:10, 9:42, 8:29, 8:27, 8:22, 8:28 and 8:14 over the last 0.55 mile.

Christine and I watched the ESPN2 coverage of the NYC Marathon. It was great watching Shalane Flanagain.win in 2:26:53! She had a final mile of 5:04, won by 1:01 and was the first US woman to win in 40 years!

A screen grab from a Rodale Publications ad celebrating their author of "Run Fast, Eat Slow" (and winner), Shalane Flanagan!
Barry Cherney was the only runner that I knew running so I tracked him with their tracker app. He finished in 5:12:16. He had been given a free entry for this marathon by Fleet Feet Rochester.

Monday, 11/6/2017: 6463 steps during the day, rest day.

Tuesday, 11/7/2017: 16922 steps during the day; 8.70 miles, 1:08:27, 7:52 pace, 43F, 56% RH, 4 mph ENE wind, mostly cloudy.

So it begins ... runs before lunch twice a week (until the Erie Canal trail is snow covered and/or icy) so I don't have to run in the dark after work. It was a bit cool and windy so I wore my Brook pants, white Freezeroo long sleeve tech, heavy gloves and orange Fleet Feet hat. I set a fast pace so I was only cold for about a mile. That is the key to running when it's cold ... let yourself be a bit cold at the start since you will warm up. My splits were: 7:54, 7:48, 7:52, 7:35, 7:58, 7:55, 8:08, 7:59 and 7:34 over the last 0.75 mile.

Wednesday, 11/8/2017: 15773 steps during the day; 6.45 miles, 51:16: 7:57 pace, 45F, 53% RH, 5 mph SW wind, sunny.


Another run before lunch. This time it was sunny but just as chilly and windy. My thighs hurt a bit from yesterday but I ignored them and ran onward. I did shorten my stride a bit to lessen the pain. My splits were: 7:53, 7:55, 7:51, 8:06, 8:00, 7:45 and 7:07 over the last 0.45 mile.

Thursday, 11/9/2017: 2908 steps during the day, rest day.

I took a few minutes before I went to bed to dig out my cold weather running gear. I put my Black Diamond rechargeable headlamp on charge. Then I found my black balaclava, yellow/black 1/4 zip Brooks long sleeve pullover, another long sleeve tech shirt and my old but reliable ski mittens. I even made sure that my blue Salomon SpeedCross 3 trail shoes were in front of the door so I wouldn't forget them. Boom ... ready. Been there, done that and have the DCSR hoodies to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment