Monday, January 15, 2018

Sunday, 1/14/2018 to Saturday, 1/20/2018

I ran 2 times during this week, 16.9 miles.
I took 61,519 steps during this week according to my Pebble 2 HR smart watch.

Sunday, 1/14/2018: 4701 steps during the day, rest day.

John H Wisniewski, 2/13/1921 - 1/10/2018, may he rest in peace
Christine, my darling wife, and I got up, packed, and got going by 8:20 AM. The driving weather was calm and sunny. I lost one of my gloves during the drive. I think it fell out of my left pocket at a rest area just before Buffalo ... oh well. It made for a bit of a story later since it was so cold. We got out to the funeral home, sscfuneralhomes.com, in Ravenna OH a bit after 1 PM. The calling hours for her father, John Henry Wisniewski, obituary here, were from 2 PM to 6 PM. I stayed close to Christine and we got through it. It was kind of nice to see most of Christine's relations ... just not under these circumstances. There were several picture boards of family pictures that showed Christine long before I first knew her when she was 18 and also during her first marriage when her two children, John and Beth, were children. We were exhausted afterward and went straight to the Townehouse Suites in Streetsboro OH, link here. Our reservation was set up by Christine's grandniece-in-law, Natalie, who works for Marriott. She got us a great rate! It was a studio apartment with a full kitchenette, wow! So I just went to the Walmart across the street to get a rotisserie chicken and a couple of salads. The glove selection at Walmart was pretty picked over so I passed and continued to be gloveless. We ate off of real plates, silverware and glasses back at the hotel!  Hotels brought out the lovey-dovey in us ... nice!

Monday, 1/15/2018: 4058 steps during the day, rest day.

I may bitch and moan about how Christine over packs when we got somewhere because I have to lug it around. But ... she did happen to bring a pair of Greater Rochester Track Club (GRTC) gloves that I got as a series gift for signing up for last year's Freezeroo. They're light but a lot better than not wearing anything when it's cold outside. So ... I guess it's a good thing that I lug around her luggage!

We had a bit of trouble getting up and back to the funeral home by 9 AM for a short service before the coffin was taken to the church. Christine's brother, Rich, fell when he was leaving the funeral home but he bounced back up without any trouble. The funeral was at the Immaculate Conception Church at 10 AM. The Catholic funeral involved a lot of standing, praying and reciting rote responses (that I didn't know). There was a reception at the church's community center afterward. We hung out there until it was time to head out to the burial. We stopped to get gas and coffee. We didn't dawdle but we were 12 minutes late. So ... the very short burial side service was over by the time we got there. Oops! Then we headed back home to Rochester. The travel went fine until it got dark. I got a bit antsy while driving from Buffalo onward. I held it together and we got home safely.

Tuesday, 1/16/2018: 2541 steps during the day, rest day.

Christine and I vegged out all day. I had the day off. I thought about getting outside for a run but couldn't move my butt off the couch.

Wednesday, 1/17/2018: 10504 steps during the day, rest day.

Back to the salt mines. I got out of work a half hour after I "officially" clocked out ... so no run.

Thursday, 1/18/2018: 19150 steps during the day; 7.55 miles, 1:02:55, 8:20 pace, 21F, 79% RH, 8 mph W wind, wind chill 12F, overcast.


My mind and body took turns to make all kinds of excuses so I could bag this run. I refused to listen to them. I didn't have my shorts to go over my tights (I made do). I didn't have my Nathan Zipster (I made do by putting my cell in my Nathan SpeedDraw). I didn't have my RoadID (I ran without it). I dressed just before I clocked out of work and drove to my usual winter after work run venue, the Greece Arcadia High School. I put on my Nathan Tracer360 lighted vest and InnoGear headlamp. I forgot to put on my ski goggles but I did have my ski mittens. I got going before I could change my mind. I set up a nice and easy pace. The 1.5 miles into the wind on Janes Rd sucked a bit but I put my head down and got through it. Other than that ... the run didn't suck so much. I think I need new road shoes since my knees hurt a bit after the run. My splits were: 7:44, 18, 23, 09, 18, 40, 34 and 48 over the last 0.55 mile. Back home ... I found all my "lost" gear. My shorts were on my laundry pile. My Zipster and RoadID were in the gear bag that I had taken to Cleveland ... just in case I got a chance to run on a treadmill.

Friday, 1/19/2018: 7238 steps during the day, rest day.

Saturday, 1/20/2018: 13327 steps during the day; 9.35 miles, 1:20:48, 8:38 pace, 39F, 60% RH, 22 mph W wind, wind chill 29F, mostly sunny.


I don't normally have a blah run but today I did. I woke up with a cramp in my left calf. I limped around but ... I run on Saturdays so I did. I didn't how my body would react ... it didn't react so well. My thighs and feet were a bit achy. I had a few walk breaks during miles 4 and 5. Then I sucked it up and got it done. I think my Brooks Transcend 3 road shoes (565 miles) have a few too many miles on them. My splits were: 8:18, 8:39, 8:48, 8:55, 9:30, 8:11, 8:21, 8:15, 8:55 and 8:16 over the last 0.35 mile.

But ... no rest for the weary. I showered and got out to see my daughter, Karen, in Palmyra and my oldest son, Michael, in Macedon. Karen had just bought a new HP laptop when her old laptop had a startup problem the night before she started another class at SNHU. I transferred 224 GB of data without any trouble while her mother and Karen went out looking for a therapy dog. Michael and I caught up on what had happened since we last saw each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment