Monday, July 23, 2018

Sunday, 7/22/2018 to Saturday, 7/29/2018

I ran 3 times this week, 30.25 miles.
I took 75,124 steps this week according to my Pebble 2 HR smart watch.
Common abbreviation: OMEP is Orange Mud Endurance Pack

Sunday, 10/22/2018: 15666 steps during the day; 10.75 miles, 1:27:24, 8:08 pace, 70F, 88% RH, 13 mph ESE wind, overcast.

I didn't get out as early as yesterday but I did get out a bit after 10 AM. Just a simple out and back to Lowden Point Rd. This was my second run with my new Orange Mud Endurance Pack (OMEP). The bladder had 1200 ml of water and I carried 16 ounces of water in my Nathan SpeedDraw Plus flask. The OMEP felt lighter on my back with 1200 ml vs yesterday's 1600 ml of water. So ... I guess I ran faster! I stopped three or four times on the way back. I cleared a few tree limbs off of Edgemere Drive twice. I looked at the waves crashing into shore off of Lake Ontario. I also stopped to take a picture of a swan that was hanging out alongside Edgemere Drive.

I gave this swan a wide berth when I ran west on Edgemere Drive and it was still there on the way back. Did it made it across the guard rail?
I paused my Garmin each time ... and even remembered to resume it. My splits were: 8:36, 8:05, 8:03, 8:01, 8:00, 8:01, 7:54, 7:58, 8:28, 8:12 and 8:04 over the last 0.75 mile. I plan on hiking up my long run mileage next weekend towards 14 miles on Saturday. I just have plot a route and get out early!

The usual mugs of coffee ensued after the run. I bored my darling wife, Christine, by watching the British Open. It was interesting to see Tiger Woods in the hunt for a major ... it's been a long time. He had the lead for a few moments after the 10th but had a double bogey on the 11th and a bogey on the 12th. He did finish in a tie for 6th at -5. An Italian by the name of  Francesco Molinari won by 2 strokes at -8, ESPN link here.

Meanwhile, other runners were out there doing awesome stuff. The Candlelight 12 hour was held overnight down at the Honeoye Falls EquiCenter. It rained on them. The Cayuga Trails 50 miles and Marathon was held down in Watkins Glen, results for the 125 finishers in the 50 mile here and the 153 finishers in the marathon here. The Lake Placid Ironman was held. Jim McLaughlin finished his 18th Ironman in 13:22:56.

Monday, 7/23/2018: 5116 steps during the day, rest day.

Tuesday, 7/24/2018: 17560 steps during the day; 8.45 miles, 1:12:16, 8:33 pace, 79F, 84% RH, 5 mph SSE wind, mostly cloudy.

It was definitely a bit muggy but it was Tuesday so I ran. I wore my OMEP filled with 800 ml of water and carried a 10 ounce water bottle in the left front pouch. I used the water bottle to dump some water on my head every couple of miles. It was like running through a wall of water after mile 5 so I slowed down. My splits were: 8:15, 8:23, 8:37, 8:20, 8:21, 9:03, 8:41, 8:37 and 8:48 over the last 0.45 mile.

Wednesday, 7/25/2018: 4982 steps during the day, rest day.

Thursday, 7/26/2018: 5833 steps during the day, rest day.

Life just got in the way as sometimes happens. I got out of work late and then I had to stop by Fleet Feet Ridgeway to exchange my Nathan Zipster with a blown zipper for a new one (which is $30 MSRP). I may buy my next pair of running shoes at Fleet Feet to thank them!

Friday, 7/27/2018: 6834 steps during the day, ER day.

No, not me. My darling wife, Christine, texted me during the afternoon to tell me that had a 102.8 fever and had a doctor's appointment at 4:15 PM. I offered to drive her ... good thing it turned out. I took 2 hours vacation and we got to the doctor around 3:30. The doctor took one look at her ear and 102.6 fever. She took us to go to either a Ears-Nose-Throat doctor or to the ER. It was late so off we went to the Strong Memorial Hospital (SMD) ER.

Well, it was 4:45 PM on a Friday night ... the ER waiting room was full. I left Christine at the door while I parked the '14 Cruze in the parking garage ... remember 4 Blue (I thought). So ... we wait for Christine to be called. Eventually she is (after a couple of hours) and we head back to 47A. Christine got a lounge chair with curtains. Our area is maybe 10 feet by 5 feet. There are 5 other patients in this room (ours was against a wall at least). Her BP and temp is taken. Her blood is drawn and she is given an IV. More waiting. A med student came in and took her history. Christine told me that she was cold so I went out and scored her a blanket. A medical doctor came and said that she would be getting a CT. Then a young ENT doc came in and examined her ear (finally) ... it hurt her. He didn't think a CT was necessary. He thought it was an inflammation of the cartaridge in the ear lobe. He prescribed an antibiotic to be given via her IV. Christine told me that she was hungry. I asked and after they found that she could eat a nurse brought both(!) of us a turkey sandwich and apple juice ... heaven! Well ... it was after 10 PM. They told us that Christine would be staying the night under observation. So ... I left to go find the '14 Cruze around 11 PM. Yes, I had to FIND the '14 Cruze ... with key fob in hand ... pressing it and trying to figure out which direction the car horn was actually coming from ... it took me about 5 minutes. Luckily there wasn't much traffic or many cars in the parking garage. The guy at the ER exit who validated my parking ticket told me about the key fob trick. I was home by 11:30 PM ... a long day. I am sure that Christine had a longer one being prodded all night somewhere in SMH.

Saturday, 11/28/2017: 19133 steps during the day; 11.05 miles, 1:30:50, 8:13 pace, 66F, 83% RH, 6 mph WSW wind, partly cloudy.


Yes, Christine was still at SMH but I wasn't going to do her any good at 8 AM without a run. I was up at 6:45 AM and out at 8 AM. I should have done a longer run than 11.05 miles but it was was it was. I thought I needed to be elsewhere. But I got it done. I decided to just go out to Lowden Point Rd and back. My splits were: 8:04, 8:04, 8:10, 8:19, 8:07, 8:20, 8:11, 8:23, 8:19, 8:12, 8:17 and 7:25 over the last 0.05 mile.

I had my usual 2 mugs of coffee while I caught up on email, Facebook and uploaded my Garmin data. Plus I did 3 loads of laundry. Then ... it was time to head out t SMH to see my darling wife, Christine. She was in room 73 in the ER Observation Area. She looked worse. Her left ear was redder and her cheek was more swellen. The plus was that she had more room ... about 10 x 10 feet. I sat with her. She was a bit cranky and I helped her navigate when she had to go to the bathroom while she was trailing her IV.  I left around 8 PM and headed home. I had some leftovers for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment