Monday, June 15, 2015

Sunday, 6/7/2015 to Saturday, 6/13/2015 - Dirt Cheap #3

I ran 4 times this week, 12.47 miles.

Sunday, 6/7/2015: Rest day.

There were some people who made it out to run and compete ... that much I saw on Facebook. The Pittsford Tri and the Keuka Tri were held today. Me ... I didn't. I did put some time in unboxing and sort stuff in the living room. There are fewer of my boxes in the living room now.

Later, Christine and I watched Game 2 of the NBA Finals ... the Cleveland Cavs versus the Golden State Warriors. Christine is from Cleveland and is rooting for the Cavs ... so I am too. The Cavs led most of the game and held on win in OT, 95-93, link here. It seemed for a while that the Cavs were searching for a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but Lebron notched a triple double of 37, 16 and 11 to pull the Cavs to a victory and even the series at 1.

Monday, 6/8/2015: Another rest day.

I should have ran ... but I was hungry when I got home so I didn't. I really should have just sucked it up and ran instead of lighting into Christine for what I thought was her lack of unpacking during the day ... she had unpacked 3 boxes upstairs. I just wanted everything unpacked and put somewhere ... packing, moving and unpacking is very stressful to me. I am not handling the unpacking very well at all. Christine and I just tried not to say anything to each that would set either of us off the rest of the night. I love my darling, Christine, but ... I just want both of us to be unpacked. A washer/dryer in the basement would help too.

Tuesday, 6/9/2015: 7 miles, 57:11, 8:10 pace, 63F, 93% RH, 3 mph wind, overcast with a bit of fog

Garmin Connect Activity for Out to Edgemere Dr and back

I set my alarm for 5:15AM because I wanted to see if I could get out for a run before work. I woke up at 4:49AM with my darling wife, Christine, sawing wood next to me and the bird chirping up a storm outside. So ... I got up, got dressed, programmed the coffee and got out there by 5:20AM or so. I just did a nice and easy out and back down Greenleaf Rd, down Beach Ave and a bit out on Edgemere Dr. It was quiet and peaceful with just minimum traffic. My splits were: 8:20, 8:12, 7:59, 8:10, 8:17, 8:11 and 8:00. The only people out were dog walkers ... some said "Morning" and some didn't. I was back by 6:30AM and sat down to a nice hot mug of coffee.

Christine had sorted all the laundry and was doing it at the complex laundromat (only $1 a load!) when I got home so I stopped to help. Nine loads of laundry took longer than I expected. I broke off when Game 3 of the NBA Finals between the Cavs and the Warriors came on at 9PM from Cleveland. It was a good game ... Lebron went out for 40, 12 and 8, Dellie went off for 20, 5 and 4 as the Cavs blew a 20 point lead down to 1 but won by 5, 96-91, link here, to lead the series 2-1.

Wednesday, 6/10/2015, 3 runs of 1.47, 0.63 and Dirt Cheap #3 of 3.37 miles, 75F, 69% RH, 9 mph SSE wind, mostly sunny.

Today's race was Dirt Cheap #3 held at Lucien Morin Park on Empire Blvd next to MacGregor's. I loaded all my gear into the back of the Equinox before work so I just changed there and headed straight over afterward. I got there at 5PM and was rewarded with a prime parking spot. Christine called and said that she would meet me there.

I met up with Prem Kumar and we went out for a really nice and easy warmup run of 1.37 miles at 13:29 pace on the white and blue trails, link here. I found the portion of trail that we ran to be variable with some slick spots. I fell once on my left side with no damage ... just dirt. Really ... I just fell onto my butt. We also saw a big branch fall to the ground about 100 feet. First we heard some cracking and ... then boom! I think we were both happy it happened over there and not over our heads! I was drenched with sweat when I got back to the Equinox and gulped water ... which led to multiple trips to the bathroom with no lines ... the woods. I got out for another warmup run on the road of 0.63 mile at 10:41 pace where I thought Christine would park (but I didn't see her), link here.

This race had a 4 wave start due to over 300 runners. I was lucky to be in Wave 1. I would imagine that the footing got worse as more and more runners went over the same terrain. It warmed up to 81F before the race started so it was plenty hot and muggy back in the woods.



And ... we were off! As usual, it was a scramble to get down the stone road to where the trail turned left into single track. A choice ... go out hard and then pay for it on the long uphill after the single track or go out a bit hard and have a bit left for that long uphill after the single track. I chose to go out a bit hard.


I was behind 69 year old Tom Dutton for a good half mile before he motioned me ahead. He said that he got tired of hearing me behind him. Joe Ciecierega passed me just as we passed close to the Irondequoit Creek. I almost got caught leaning the wrong way on one of the turns there. The trail is narrow there and you could easily fall in. He laughed when I told him that. He did say that he would have helped me out ... while laughing about it of course. We both got a chuckle and continued onward. Up ... down ... sideways ... be careful of slippery ups and downs ... onward. I did fall hard once on my left side and lost my 10 ounce hand bottle for a second. I reached back for it as Tom Dutton passed me again. My left thumb hurt as I grasped my water bottle but I gathered myself and ran onward. I ran under control and made it out to the finish without further incident. And ... done with 3.37 miles in 39:06! Christine was there to greet me after I drank some water. Soon we headed inside for some food and drink. I had the usual post race MacGregor's grub (veggies, salad and pasta) and she ordered a Reuben. I did have some of her fries though.

My darling wife, Christine, did have some surprises for me. She got her nails done (2 repaired and all 10 sharpened), her blonde hair trimmed and got herself a Vivofit. She says that she is going to start exercising ... good for her!

We made home just ahead of yet another thunderstorm. There was a report the next day that a EF0 tornado touched down in Farmington in Ontario County southeast of Rochester, link from 13WHAM here. I took a quick shower to wash the mud off of me. I had to wash off the walls of the shower after I got mud on them!

All in all, a pretty nice day! I looked at the results later in the evening. I was 55th out of 347, link here. I was 4th out of 13 in my M55-59 age group.

Thursday, 6/11/2015 through Saturday 6/13/2015: Rest days from running.

We watched Game 4 of the NBA Finals between the Warriors and Cavs. The Warriors won 103-82, link here, to even the series at 2.

It's a bit weird that I didn't have a race this weekend but that just my race schedule worked out. I could have and should have gone out for a run on Thursday night or Friday night or Saturday morning but just didn't get around to it. I guess I just needed to recharge my running batteries.

My darling wife, Christine, and I did get out on Saturday afternoon to enrich the Rochester economy. First, it was to locally and family owned Charlotte Appliance where we purchased a GE washer/dryer. This GE washer is one of the few left that has the old style electro-mechanical dials that allow you to add your detergent, let water in dissolve it and then add clothes. The new style has the locking mechanism that makes you add the detergent, the clothes and close the lid before the water starts. Christine is old school so we went old school. The washer/dry is being delivered Monday. Second, it was to BJ's where we purchased a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV and Shark Rotator vacuum. The new HDTV is sweet! It's so much bigger and lighter than our old 35" Sanyo CRT TV. We also had our first "garbage" plate at Harbor Hots on Lake Ave. We both had gas and heartburn afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment