Monday, January 29, 2018

Sunday, 1/28/2018 to Saturday, 2/3/2018

I ran 4 times this week, 28.36 miles.
I took 75,057 steps this week according to my Pebble 2 HR smart watch.

Sunday, 1/28/2018: 13762 steps during the day; 8.25 miles, 1:12:00, 8:43 pace, 34F, 86% RH, 6 mph SW wind, wind chill 28F, mostly sunny.

I was up before 7 AM but didn't get out until 9 AM. I almost got sucked into the couch when I was sorting through my Yahoo! email. I use Mozilla Thunderbird when I really want to delete email since it allows me to sort by correspondents (and thus delete or sort tons of email) so much easier. I really should do a massive unsubscribe to a lot of correspondents!


But ... I did get out. It was around freezing and I wore my usual: CX-X tights, long sleeve tech, yellow/black Brooks 1/4 zip pullover, yellow/black Brooks beanie and heavy running gloves. Well ... I endured another blah run. I had to contend with some issues: black ice on the LOSP trail, feeling like a slug due to eating out 2 nights in a row, being a bit overdressed, my left ankle ached a bit and personal stuff. I did take walk breaks but I got it done. My splits were: 10:26, 8:21, 8:16, 8:30, 8:54, 8:31, 8:33, 8:28 and 8:02 over the last 0.25 mile. I'm still not over 100 miles for January so I will have to get out on Tuesday to put me over the top.

Later in the morning... Christine's daughter, Beth, and her mother-in-law, Linda, came over to say goodbye before heading back to Cleveland. It was not a pleasant goodbye ... which is all I will say. Christine was still grieving for her father and her emotions were quite raw. Later in the afternoon ... I went out to Herrema's to get some groceries. Christine had gone through their ad and I had a "honey-get-this" list. Sometimes you just have to go to the local mom'n'pop supermarket rather than go to Wegmans. We had Lloyd's Ribs for supper ... mmm!

Monday: 1/29/2018: 6692 steps during the day, rest day.

Tuesday, 1/30/2018: 18101 steps during the day; 5 miles on the treadmill

I thought about getting outside for the last run of the month ... I really did. But ... 6 inches of snow fell in the morning, it was cold, it was windy and I thought that the road shoulders would be sloppy. So ... I opted for a treadmill at the Greenleaf Meadows exercise room. Yes ... lame. I endured 5 miles of boredom at 8:34 pace. Time does seem to go exceedingly slow when you run on a treadmill.

Time goes a LOT slower when you run on a treadmill!
Wednesday, 1/31/2018: 5750 steps during the day, rest day.

Stats for the month of January:
I ran 17 times for 101.04 miles, 5.94 miles/run.
I ran 4 races:
   Freezeroo #2 on 1/1/18 - 7.5 miles, 59:36, 7:57 pace
   Winter Warrior Half on 1/6/18 - 13.1 miles, 1:55:15, 8:48 pace
   Freezeroo #3 on 1/13/18 - 5 miles, 41:36, 8:10 pace
   Freezeroo #4 on 1/27/18 - 4.88 miles, 37:21, 7:39 pace
I took a walk/run on snowshoes of 2.2 miles.
I walked 320,848 steps according to my Pebble 2 HR smartwatch.

It was a struggle to get past 100 miles of running this month due to many factors. Let's see ... snow, cold, wind, ice, a death and just lack of motivation. I had to resort to running with trail shoes on the road several times and even the dreaded treadmill once. But ... I got it done.

Thursday, 2/1/2018: 12744 steps during the day; 5.76 miles, 46:09, 8:01 pace, 37F, 75% RH, 14 mph W wind, wind chill 29F, overcast.


The forecast was for a cold front to take away the temperature that was in the low 40s and drop it back to the teens by morning. I got out after work just as the cold front swept in so I had to contend with a cold wind from the west. I doubted my clothing choice of no balaclava and no heavy Craft long sleeve tech at first until I warmed up. I also had to contend with a dim and dying InnoGear headlamp so I cut the run short to get in while it provided a bit of light. I guess I should just recharge its NiCad batteries once a week. Anyway, my splits were: 7:44, 8:10, 8:17, 7:53, 8:03 and 7:55 over the last 0.76 mile.

Funny story. I went to BJ's last night. I bought a big bag of toilet paper and tried to throw it upstairs. Well ... my wedding ring flew off my finger! I heard it clink as it hit something in the townhouse ... who knows where. I didn't tell Christine. I looked around for it for a couple of minutes but couldn't find it. Christine didn't notice during the night. I woke up at 5 AM this morning and looked for it until just before 6 AM but didn't find it. I told Christine about my lost wedding ring ... she gave me a hug. She told me that it was just a material thing and that it was probably in the plastic trash bags that were hanging on the stair rail. I went to work and came back home. She had found my lost wedding ring ... in the bags that were hanging on the stair rail.

Friday, 2/2/2018: 6354 steps during the day, rest day.

Saturday, 2/3/2018: 11654 steps during the day; 9.36 miles, 1:17:00, 8:17 pace, 19F, 67% RH, 18 mph WSW wind, wind chill 4F, mostly sunny.


Yes, it was cold and windy but ... it was Saturday so I got out there and ran. Call what you will ... mental discipline, gumption or sheer will. The first step out the door is the toughest and it gets even tougher when the wind chill is in the single numbers. I put on almost all of my cold weather gear: CW-X tights with shorts, heavy Craft long sleeve tech, yellow/black Brooks 1/4 zip pullover, balaclava, yellow/black Brooks beanie, GRTC neck fleece and ski mittens. I added ski goggles to protect my eyes. I wore my Brooks Transcend 3 road shoes. Yes, they have 565 miles and are a bit worn but I went back to them because I like the Brooks better than the new Scott Palani road shoes. I set up a nice and steady pace to start and kept it there except for taking a tiny walk at the start of Greenleaf Rd on the way back. The drivers that saw me must have thought I was nuts but I'm used to it. My splits were: 8:20, 8:05, 8:13, 8:25, 8:30, 7:49, 8:03, 8:07, 8:41 and 7:54 over the last 0.36 mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment